Did you know that you are holding beliefs that are holding you back from having a better life? Learn how to replace these with beliefs that empower you. Your life will never be the same!
Where do limiting beliefs come from?
From the moment of your first breath, you are interacting with your environment and learning from your surroundings. In the early years, most of what you learn will have been taught to you from your parents and absorbed from the people you interacted with most, as well as from your own learning experiences. It’s in these initial years that form most of our conditioning, or the patterns of our thought. We know that what we take in helps to shape us, and enables us to learn, develop and grow, but what if some of this information isn’t true? Or perhaps what we learned has served its purposes to us as a child, but now does not help us to move forward as an adult.
The sources of our limiting beliefs come from several places, can occur consciously or sub-consciously, and include:
1. Your Family. Many of us learn most of our knowledge and beliefs from family members. This is usually done in the best of intentions and your parents want to teach you about life. But everyone’s perceptions on life and experiences are different, and so they will teach you according to their own belief systems. Often, this is done out of love and care, but unintentionally it may hinder you from believing you can achieve something greater.
An example may be an over-critical and scolding parent who constantly tells you that you are not good enough. Although this may not be intended to harm you, it could lead to you believing this, resulting in low self-esteem issues in later life. The parent may not necessarily be aware that they could be causing a problem as they, too, may have had a similar upbringing and are only teaching you based on what they have experienced themselves.
2. Your Friends. Like family, your friends are also individuals who perceive and interpret life from their own experiences and personalities. But also, there may even be the added factor of competitiveness or jealousy where things can be said for their purposes, more than they are a benefit to yours.
3. Teachers. Our teachers have a lot of influence over us, and as children we often don’t think to question what we are being taught. Like our parents, they want to give us love and guidance to provide us with the very best outcomes. But sometimes they, too, are full of their own limiting beliefs that end up being passed onto us.
4. Our own interpretation of events. Many times, it’s the way we interpret what is said to us that is what really holds us back. Our emotions can get in the way of clear communication and accurate understanding of what is actually being said. If you are already lacking confidence and are feeling upset, a simple comment that isn’t loaded with negative intent may be perceived to you as harsh criticism.
5. Everything else – internet, media, movies, books and more.
Everything that we watch and read is information that gets loaded into our brains. Although we may not think that something is relevant, we are constantly using all of this data to shape our thoughts and opinions about the world, about others, and about ourselves. In fact, sometimes what we don’t see is also shaping our thoughts to an extent. After all, we don’t know what we don’t know, right?
The only thing limiting us in life is our belief that there are no limits.
It’s important to look at the areas in your life where you are less than satisfied, and this is where you will find that there is probably a limiting belief that’s preventing you from moving forward. If you’re struggling with romance, perhaps you were hurt in the past and don’t believe yourself to be worthy of being in a happy and fulfilling relationship. Or if you struggle with finances, it may be that you hold the belief that if you become wealthy, you’ll lose your real friends. However silly as it may sound, these are the sources of what can hold us back in life. And when you learn to let go of these limiting beliefs, you’ll find that you’ll begin to open up new possibilities into your life that you’ve only ever dreamed were possible.
To download a free copy of my mini eBook Choose Happiness, click on the link below!